Friday, August 26

make your own Taco Seasoning

If you find you're out of those packets of taco seasoning and are wanting to make a recipe calling for it, make your own! It costs less, plus, if you keep a well stocked spice rack, you'll always have the ingredients on hand to whip up a batch.


I've got 2 recipes for taco seasoning: one mild and the other a bit spicier.  Whereas I like the spicier, I'm out voted in our household... not that the spicier one is that terribly spicy, but my guys have more sensitive palates... so mild seasoning is what I make most often. (I haven't bought the packets since using these recipes!)

Mild Taco Seasoning
2 T chili pwd                                                                                 
5 tsp paprika                                                                                   
4 1/2 tsp ground cumin                                                                  
1 T onion pwd                                                                              
2 tsp salt (table or seasoned)                                                          
2 1/2 tsp garlic pwd                                                                        
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper                                                                   
1/4 tsp dried oregano                                                                               
                                                                                                     
Spicy Taco Seasoning
2 T chili pwd
1 tsp paprika
1 T ground cumin
1/2 tsp onion pwd
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic pwd 
1/4 tsp cayenne pwd
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp pepper

Mix all spices together and keep in an airtight container. 2 tablespoons = 1 packet envelope of store bought.



pic courtesy of  dreamstime

2 comments:

jamiessmiles said...

Fuck me! Awesome! Yes, that was ten times better than the shit you buy.

Rae said...

LOL Jamie- glad you like it! Which one did you try?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...