Wednesday, August 24

Basic Bean Soup

Here's my version of a bean soup I whipped up one night.  I used only what I had on hand, so it's pretty basic. Adding more seasonings and maybe celery (didn't have any) would really put this over the top, but for a budget conscience meal, this fit the bill nicely. You can use canned beans if that's what you have, maybe 3 cans worth? Rinsed and drained. And if you have chicken stock to use in place of some of the water and bouillon- try that! (I ran out of stock, and haven't gotten around to making more)



Basic Bean Soup

2C dried beans (I used 1C red, 1C navy) soaked, drained and rinsed*
8C water
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
3 chicken bouillon cubes (or 3 tsp granules... or even try beef bouillon!)
1/4 tsp pepper
6 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon, cause it's usually cheaper, and it's what I had!)

Cook the beans in 8 C of water for about an hour or so... until they are almost as tender as you like. Cook bacon in a skillet. Remove bacon, drain and chop. In the same skillet, saute carrots, onion and garlic in the bacon drippings until tender (I added a T of olive oil, because my turkey bacon left no drippings).








Add bouillon, bacon, veggies and pepper to your pot of beans and simmer @ least 30 mins to combine all the flavors.

As prepared above, I thought this made a pretty darn good soup. However, certain people in my household are either not fond of soup, or of beans..... so I continued on to appease different tastes. I had a package of hot dogs handy, so I cut those up, browned a bit in the same skillet I used to cooked the bacon and veggies, then tossed that into the soup.


Then I thought- what's hot dogs without ketchup? So I put about 1/4 C of that in... although I didn't notice a change in taste..
I finished off with some shredded cheddar after ladling out the soup, and served with a side of corn bread.
I rather preferred the soup sans the hot dogs and cheese, however the kids were thrilled with the additions and gobbled up their servings! This made plenty for the 5 of us, plus enough leftover for a second meal! I tossed that in a container and put in the freezer, for  a quick meal later down the road..



*if you've never prepared dried beans before, you take them and put them in a pot with 6-8 cups of water (pick thru your beans first, and toss any that look bad) put a lid on it and let it sit overnight. The next day, drain and rinse, then cook. 
Or you can do the quick soak method, which you put your beans in the water, heat until boiling, cover and take off the heat. Leave it covered for 1- 1 1/2 hours. Then, drain, rinse and cook.

4 comments:

Skywalker63 said...

Hey cool. Now, as ever we have the usual old language barrier between the Brits and the Amcericans. What are you calling Red and Navy beans and what would I know them as over here? I think we call the navy ones 'Kidney' beans...but what are the red ones? I fancy giving this one a go!

Rae said...

Really I suppose any beans would work.. the red beans I used were a small red kidney bean. Navy beans are a type of white bean. Also called pea bean or haricot I think.. varieties are great northern,rainy river and robust to name a few.. I hope that helps!!

Anonymous said...

Wow this sounds delicious. I love your blog.

-The Anonymous Teenage Blogger

Rae said...

Awh thanks Anonymous- means a lot! Especially from a Teenage Blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...