![]() |
| Sally warming up to her new pillow! |
If you have a dog, some spare time, old pillows and a worn sheet (or any fabric, really)... you can make your dog his/her very own pillow!
You could just go buy one of course..... but they are pricey! This way, not only are you re-using items you already have around the house, you're not spending $$ giving your furry friend a comfy place to relax!
Since I have a large dog, I used three old pillows.
If you have a medium/large dog, two pillows should be big enough, and if you have a lil doggie, well, you can get away with an old pillow and pillow case- and your done!
What I did was slightly overlap each pillow, then hand sewed them together.. my kitty Twilight just had to help! So I'm blaming the bad sew job on her. Actually, I'm just really bad at sewing, so please don't look too close at the pics!
Once I had all the pillows connected, then I laid my fabric down. In my case, I used an old torn flannel fitted sheet. I cut away all the elastic, then did a rough (eye-balled) measurement to be sure I had enough fabric to wrap around the pillows.
With the fabric wrong side out, I pinned a few spots to get an idea of the width I needed. I made sure the fabric overlapped where it meets in the middle. It's kind of like making a large pillow sham. Then I whipped out and dusted off the old sewing machine and sewed the edges of the overlap and the sides. Then I turned it right side out, and stuffed the pillows into it.
OK, not as fancy as what you can buy, but your dog won't mind.... Oh, and the leftover bits of fabric? Cut them down for rags, or in strips to use in tying stuff, or as a stuffing in another project maybe?








2 comments:
Fantastic ideas on your blog! I don't have a dog but this may make a good guest bed for my lazy ex-brother in law who always needs a place to stay for some reason. Once again...great stuff.
Thank you Coloradocasters! LOL, not sure your ex-brother in law would appreciate it, but good idea none the less! This could be a frugal homemade gift to someone that owns a dog.. or, if so inclined, making these to donate to the local Humane Society-
Post a Comment