I love versatile recipes.. ya know, those recipes that can be used in many different ways? I'm always on the look out for base recipes that can be altered slightly for different applications. Now this chocolate mix recipe is good for either serving warm as a fudge topping, cooled to use as a pudding, or frozen for a delicious Popsicle treat! One recipe, at least 3 possibilities!!! OOOh I love that!!
Chocolate mix
4 C instant dry milk powder
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C unsweetened baking cocoa
1 C flour
1/2 C cold butter
Combine the milk powder, sugar, flour and cocoa in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. You really want to incorporate the butter in. You can freeze this mix in an airtight container for up to 6 months, or refrigerate it for 3 months.
Additional ingredients to prepare:
2 1/2 C water
1 tsp vanilla
To make a batch, in a small saucepan whisk 2 C of the mix and water. Bring to a boil, simmer until it thickens, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Cool slightly and either:
1. Serve warm over ice cream, waffles or whatever else you like a thick chocolate sauce on ( as written, this makes at least 4 C .. you may want to half it for sauce!)
2. Pour into serving dishes or a bowl, refrigerate until chilled for pudding (cover with plastic so you don't form a skin on the top.. unless you like pudding skin :) )
3. Pour into Popsicle molds or fill little cups; cover with plastic or aluminum foil and insert a Popsicle stick.. freeze for several hours and you have fudge pops! ( My kids favorite summer treat)
A little hint when you pouring into Popsicle molds: I use a funnel- makes it a little less messy! You can portion this out any way that suits your needs.When I make a batch I can get 6 Popsicles and 3 single serve puddings.. perfect for after school snacks for my guys.




1 comment:
Nice and neat blog!
Post a Comment