Wednesday, July 27

I Love lemons!

Lemons are so versatile! You can use them for personal care, cleaning, cooking, baking and to freshen the air! Whenever lemons go on sale, I try to buy at least 15-16. You may already know the many, many uses of lemons, but if you are wondering what are the ways I use up almost every bit of my lemon, read on..
What I do with my stash of lemons is this: I soak them in a little vinegar water (approx. 1/4 C vinegar to 4-5 cups water) for just a few minutes. I do that to help clean them of germs or anything else that lemon has come in contact with! Then I wash/rinse in plain water. Now I will use a zest/scorer (you can get one of those at almost any store selling kitchen gadgets) and get that beautiful yellow peel off the lemons. (Not all the lemons, I don't need that much zest in my recipes) I let the zest air dry a bit while I work on the rest of the lemon, then I'll freeze the zest for recipes) Next I cut the lemon in half and juice it. I will use that lemon juice in making lemonade (recipe here!), recipes or to make buttermilk (1 T lemon juice and enough milk to equal 1 cup)  when a recipe calls for it..  you can freeze your lemon juice if you don't think you will use it up within a week or two. I like to freeze it in amounts I know I may need..like 1cup measurements in a  freezer bag or by the tablespoonful (use an ice cube tray to freeze, then pop into freezer bag). Now for the leftover part of the lemon, some of them I will trim the ends so the lemon lays flat upright and pour salt in the now gutted middle. Place those around the house for supple air fresheners. They only last a day or two, but hey.. it's nice while it lasts! Other halves you can grind in you garbage disposal to help freshen it up or you put them in a jar, fill with just enough vinegar to cover.. put a lid on the jar and let is sit for a week..this gives you lemon scented vinegar which I use to make homemade cleaners. Of course you can rub that lemon on your skin too.. I don't bother but I know many that make facial scrubs with lemons. What ways do you use your lemon?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...