Thursday, August 4

Trying homemade liquid hand soap

We go through a lot of hand soap in my house. (My kids are good hand washers to a fault!) Usually, I get liquid hand soap for free or dirt cheap using coupons and sales, but sometimes we run out before that good sale with coupons cycles back around and I'm too cheap frugal to pay full price. Bar soap is inexpensive, but I really dislike using bar soap for hand washing.. it tends to get stuck to the sink counter, leaving a gooey, slimy mess to clean.  Today I decided to bite the bullet and attempt making some liquid hand soap at home.

There are countless recipes out there for making it, I wasn't sure which one to try! So I combined a few to come up with a concoction using what I already had on hand.

Here's what I used:
1 C grated Ivory bar soap
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 tsp honey
4 C water

Additional items needed:
cheese grater
spoon/spatula for stirring
pot
funnel
container(s) to put finished soap in


My bar of Ivory soap was 4.5 oz. Grated down, it made about 2 C worth of flakes. I put 1 C in a Ziploc bag for future use.
I placed the remaining cup of flakes into the pot with 2 cups of the water. Heated it up until the flakes dissolved; stirring often.
Once the soap was melted, I added the olive oil and honey.
I turned my burner off and mixed in  the remaining 2 cups of water.  I let this sit until it cooled to close to room temp (took 30 mins, but I'm sure that varies).
Then, using a funnel I poured the soap mixture into an old plastic container. This made about a quart of liquid soap.

Now, I have read that a lot of times once the soap sets, it tends to gel and clump up. I know that's what my homemade laundry detergent does- it's icky to look at, but cleans my clothes well enough. But for hand soap... wouldn't want that! I could just imagine........

"May I use your bathroom, Rae?"
"Oh sure, first door on the left"
(...minutes later...)
"Uh, I think you're soap dispenser is broke, I couldn't get anything to come out.."
"Oh, it's not broke.. you just need to shake it for a minute, unscrew the pump lid, ooze a clump onto your hands and voila!"
(...brow furrowed in a what in the world?? kind of face..)
"Um...OK... your weird!"
 Hahaha... ok, funnier in my head than how it typed.

Well, liquid soap is made, I'll leave it alone overnight and see how it turns out in the morning... Stay tuned!!
P.S. See how my soap turned out here (I revised the recipe a bit)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...