My kids love chocolate milk... I just love chocolate! But when you're counting pennies, buying those bottled syrups at the store become a luxury item. So I make my own. It's way cheaper, doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it, and tastes good. You can use this syrup just like the store bought- in drinks (iced coffee is my fave!), recipes, as an ice cream topping... any way you can think! This recipe makes about 2 cups of syrup, but is easily halved if you just want a little! I store mine in an old peanut butter glass jar, covered in the fridge, but if you have a bottle of the store bought- maybe reuse it? I give the syrup a quick stir before using to be certain no chocolate has settled to the bottom. Not really sure how long this will keep as I can't keep it from running out before 2 weeks!
Homemade chocolate syrup
1 1/2 C water
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients except the vanilla in a small saucepan. Stir frequently as you heat to a boil; remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool slightly. Pour into a glass jar or other container. If using a glass jar, cool completely before putting in the refrigerator!!
I haven't tried this recipe using any artificial sweetener yet.. but I may try (store brand version) Splenda sometime.. if you try this recipe using sweetener or even as written, let me know how you liked it!

2 comments:
Does the water make it runny? Looks like a wonderful recipe!
When you heat the water and sugar, the sugar melts and thickens the water to create a simple syrup. Once cooled, it's about the same consistency as store bought chocolate syrup. HTH!
Post a Comment